Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Only By Grace

Let's begin from the very beginning. When I mention non-bodily mode, I'm saying that we are going into something that is not perceived by the senses, something of a spiritual dimension. Well then, you may say, how are we to conceive of something that we cannot see with our own eyes? This is where philosophers, thru the ages, have been passionately waiting to answer that question. First of all, philosophy is not providing some boring evidence or debate. Philosophy actually means a love of wisdom. It is especially applicable for people with emotional hurts. It is a way of entering that into an emotional understanding. I find it an attractive avenue where the search for wisdom will end up in a moment of intellectual joy. "Aha - now I see!" is that kind of moment that I hope to convey in you.

The majority of psychologists will try to overcome your anxieties and depression head-on with the only method they are trained i.e. using stress relieving techniques. I want to differ in my approach here. To be honest, I am not good with clever arguments, persuasion and especially eloquence. I am not the new smart kid on the 'blog'! Sometimes, my thought presentation may appear haphazard. I am only an amateur in philosophy.

If you were to ask me to tell you more about myself, I can tell you firstly that my life is mainly a life of thoughts. I have my fair share of sufferring and tragedies just like everyone else but my greatest spiritual encounters are encounters with books, though not always. Something I read may ignite the desire to search for more wisdom. Just like Blaise Pascal, the great French mathematician and thinker, whom at the age of thirty one, described how his thoughts are at one moment inflamed with the light of God which gave him "joy, joy, joy, tears of joy" .

So, back to the question on how we can conceive of the presence of God - I can only say that we can only see God thru the eyes of the mind. But, I can assure you, once you do see it, though it is not palpable, it is more real than you think, more eternal and forever true and beautiful. It may even provide you with a climax - a moment of intellectual and emotional purity which is not of this world. And it will provide you with a stable, everlasting foundation - unlike a house which may erode, or have leaking roofs or peeling paints.

To get this form of love, one's free will should have a ready avenue for divine intervention or grace. The best state of mind I can recommend to achieve this, is a state of longing for a country far, far away - longing to get back to - and be on the path home....

Some basic stress relieving technique

Try to relax and breath slowly. Use your diaphragm to breath rather than your upper chest muscles as it will give you more breathing space. Take in 2 seconds of breath and exhale for 4 seconds, repeating the process. As you do that many times, you will find that your body becoming less tense. Sometimes, in a panic situation, you may need to cup your mouth and nose with the palm of your hands, leaving a small space between the palms and breath for about 5 minutes. This technique takes time to get used to but try it for a week.

No comments: